D16299: fallback to dnssd service discovery if smb listDir failed on root

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Nov 21 10:31:04 GMT 2018

sitter added a comment.

    // TODO: it may be better to resolve the host to an ip address. dnssd
    //   being able to find a service doesn't mean name resolution is
    //   properly set up for its domain. So, we may not be able to resolve
    //   this without help from avahi. OTOH KDNSSD doesn't have API for this
    //   and from a platform POV we should probably assume that if avahi
    //   is functional it is also set up as resolution provider.
    //   Given the plugin design on glibc's libnss however I am not sure
    //   that assumption will be true all the time. ~sitter, 2018

  If someone has a thought to offer on this please do.
  Personally I am somewhat leaning towards assuming that systems should be properly configured. The problem with setting the URL to the ip address is that it messes with the visual look in the address bar. So, if we want reliable resolution and good looks we'd need to resolve each dnssd address (e.g. `foobar.local`) to their ip address (e.g. 172.17.0.1) via kdnssd and then resolve that back to a hostname via glibc/qhostinfo (e.g. `foobar.sky.net`). That way we'd know that the name we have in the end is in fact resolvable by the system without aid from dnssd. Speed impact of this aside it also adds 3 additional points of failure (and KDNSSD currently doesn't implement the resolver API it seems).

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras