D16905: Add new generic sorting icons and rename existing alphabetic sorting icons to -name scheme

TrickyRicky noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Nov 17 12:08:22 GMT 2018

trickyricky26 added a comment.

  I am sure that in ascending, the lines get longer further down (representing larger file sizes etc.). The thing I am not quite sure about is the direction of the arrows.

  In D16905#360524 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16905#360524>, @cfeck wrote:

  > On lists that are sorted alphabetically A-Z (i.e. ascending), the first item is at the top, the last at the bottom. That's why user interfaces show an arrow pointing down; they show the direction of item "flow".

  According to this, on ascending (alphabetically a-z) sorted lists, the arrows points downwards to indicate the flow.
  If this is correct, the new icons show the correct arrow direction, while the existing alphabetical sorting icons have this backwards.
  Perhaps they need to be changed in that regard, however I think this might be beyond the scope of this revision.

  Looking around the internet, quite some icons have arrows always pointing downwards, regardless of the sorting direction; I think this is the worst solution as the arrow does not provide any meaning.
  The La Capitaine icons have the same alphabetic icons as we do with the arrow pointing upwards in ascending versions; their generic sorting icons have the arrow pointing downwards in ascending versions.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons

BRANCH
  add-sort-options-icon (branched from master)