D11685: Implement single click on line number to select line of text

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Mar 25 19:52:12 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  IMHO, a mouse-based workflow for selecting large blocks of text makes sense, which is why this should be made at least the default setting. But using the mouse to go to the first column makes less sense, since you're probably about to do something with the text, which means your fingers need to be on the keyboard, which means you should just use the default keyboard shortcut ([Home]).

  I'm okay with making it the default if we do have to add an option. But every option must be carefully considered, or else configuration windows become intimidating and impossible to navigate, and the genuinely useful options become buried. Everything that can be turned on or off must be that way because there is a genuinely useful workflow or a reasonable user preference attached to each setting. We shouldn't add options just to be conservative and avoid blame in case someone doesn't like it. Every change has someone who doesn't like it; completely avoiding that is sadly impossible. Instead, we should try to do the most good for the most people.

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor