D11487: optimization of TextLineData::attribute

Milian Wolff noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 22 12:41:30 UTC 2018

mwolff added a comment.

  @jtamate looking at your screenshots, it represents closely what I see locally. Most notably, there are no red underlines in your screenshots which could arise due to spell checking. Thus I really wonder why you are seeing such a big hotspot there.

  Try perf, or try a poor mans profiler like GDB and regularly interrupt. Do you really end up in `TextLineData::attribute()`? Or, alternatively: Measure the time it takes for kate/kwrite to open the file and then go to the end. Then compare this before and after your patch. Do you see anything in the order of ~75% reduction for the time then too? Note how callgrind only measure instructions, so a supposed reduction of 75% of instructions should certainly have an impact on time too - of course not 75% too... I simply cannot fathom why you are seeing such an impact but I cannot reproduce this at all!

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor