D10742: get rid of the raw KFileItem pointers in KCoreDirListerCache

Jaime Torres Amate noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 5 07:59:17 UTC 2018

jtamate added a comment.

  In D10742#218222 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10742#218222>, @markg wrote:

  > In D10742#218171 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10742#218171>, @dfaure wrote:
  >
  > > Can someone explain to me how switching from pointers to values is making anything faster, or is a first step towards making anything faster? This step in itself can only make things slower due to more "copying" (refcount updating).
  >

  > I don't know what the ultimate goal of @jtamate is here (speeding things up, that i do know).

  Hi,

    To speedup findByUrl, there are strategies like using a QHash for DirItem* or just having it sorted and search using std::binary_search.
    I guess this will be easier to do if there are less pointers in the path, therefore  I'm just trying to remove a TODO: introduced in 4b498196899223692e8a7d334618b2874bb6c77e in 2014.
    I haven't done any benchmarks on this code yet, first it needs to pass all the tests.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO