D10937: Retouching of Screen Layout Selection OSD Icons

Phil Stefan noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 2 12:39:05 UTC 2018

pstefan added a comment.

  In D10937#216476 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10937#216476>, @mart wrote:

  > one point tough: those are only going to work at a single size, as they are more vulnerable to become blurry when resized, so they would need other size versions as well (small sizes probably being like before)
  >
  > as they are part of the icon theme, one can't assume where and how they will be used (want it or not, app developers will just borrow them if they like it for whatever they want to represent) so the full sizes set is needed

  I agree, however, there's a point where the symbolism will simply break down. If we try to go with the laptop analogy I'd say 32x32px is the cutoff where one can reasonably use this symbolism. While it might be possible to cram it all into that confined space, there will be a lot going on. I'd say too much to really understand the intention behind the icon. Though I am open to be proven wrong.

  In D10937#216511 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10937#216511>, @ngraham wrote:

  > This came up in the VDG telegram room: the rotate and flip icons are still rather unclear, just from the icon alone. We came up with a potential alternative: how about displaying a rotated or flipped image in the screen? It would have to be something with strong directionality, like a mountain or something. In fact, we already use  "mountain and sun" imagery elsewhere, for example with the Pictures folder:
  >
  > F5735330: Spectacle.x27054.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5735330>
  >
  > I feel like a slightly less abstract version of that could work well here.

  I tried to experiment with your idea:

  F5736299: Screenshot from 2018-03-02 13:13:42.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5736299>
  The top two rows are takes on "rotate left".

  I am not sure it'll work with photo symbolism. At for me, I definitely wouldn't recognize what the rotated images were supposed to symbolized if I didn't know beforehand. Or, at least, I need a version that's not flipped for comparison. I am not saying though that the idea can't work. I am just not sure what to use here.

  For the second row, I think the one to the left works best, however, due to the angles it'll always be blurry. Not sure if that's a good trade-off or not. Perhaps I should try it with the window being empty too.

  I'd say that I think the top row works best, however, all the ideas, safe the bottom row, suffer from being complicated. As @abetts noted, sometimes simpler is better. I'd also help with adapting the icons to smaller sized without losing too clarity.

  In D10937#216512 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10937#216512>, @abetts wrote:

  > Is there a way that we can add extra clarity by adding a label below the icons? A label that explains what the action is? I agree that the current symbolism can be hard to read but it is also very simple. If you make the connection to label, it will be even stronger in meaning. Also, not sure I like the white background on those tiles, is there a way that they can be dark and the images light? Just a thought on colors.

  The implementation it is supposed to be used in will have labels, as can be seen in in this blog post. <https://vizzzion.org/blog/2018/02/connecting-new-screens/> However, every def can use them if they want.

  RE:Color Do you mean the laptop screen? Or the while icon? If so, there's a dark variant for breeze dark. The tiles are just my 64x64px working areas and not part of the icons themselves.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons