D14397: Port audio notification to libcanberra

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jul 26 11:02:28 BST 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   We probably lose the ability to play sound on Windows and Mac?

  Does libcanberra (still) require pulseaudio or can it work with different backends? It not, a move to using it exclusively for sound would get a big fat -1 from me. Pulseaudio is problematic on Mac and more alien than DBus; it simply shouldn't be required.
  (I have gripes with it on Linux too; too often I get the sound notifications way after the event simply because the PA daemon had been swapped out or otherwise unavailable.)

  >   How does it work there normally?

  It works just fine with the gstreamer or libVLC backends. Building libVLC for 3rd party use is a bit of an adventure on Mac but I have made a MacPorts port for it.

  >   (We could just make it do `QApplication::beep()` if a sound is configured :p)

  I proposed that once as a fallback for misconfigured alerts and caused knee-jerk reactions in certain reviewers who remembered the days of the PC tweeter beep...

  > - `LoopSound` also work but probably won't create uninterrupted playback anymore. But I have seen only one user of that in lxr which is some playground dialer app..

  The Multimedia/Sound KCM has a few test buttons; do those work?

  IIUC KNotifications already has the logic for finding sound theme files, so if a lighter sound backend is required, why not use a truly cross-platform library like PortAudio?

  FWIW, using QSP for finding those theme files instead of some independent implementation has the advantage that they are expected in a QSP-compatible location. Or will have that advantage, the day a solution is found for working with the non-XDG QSP locations on Mac and MSWin.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications