D14397: Port audio notification to libcanberra

Kai Uwe Broulik noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jul 26 09:54:45 BST 2018

broulik created this revision.
broulik added reviewers: Frameworks, dfaure, davidedmundson, sitter, drosca, kfunk, rjvbb.
Restricted Application added a project: Frameworks.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: kde-frameworks-devel.
broulik requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  This library is meant to play event sounds and is significantly lighter than using Phonon.
  Based on a draft patch made by Harald Sitter

TEST PLAN
  We probably lose the ability to play sound on Windows and Mac? How does it work there normally? (We could just make it do `QApplication::beep()` if a sound is configured :p)

  - Warning sounds in e.g. KMessageBox play just fine
  - KNotification events also play sound just fine
  - Deleting/closing a notification manually stops the sound
  - Changing "Notification sounds" in volume applet affects those sounds like it should
  - Verified that it works when threaded (hence the `QMetaObject::invokeMethod` in the callback handler)
  - `LoopSound` also work but probably won't create uninterrupted playback anymore. But I have seen only one user of that in lxr which is some playground dialer app..

  I'm wondering if we can also get rid of the custom `QStandardPaths` lookup we have in there given libcanberra is meant to support xdg sound scheme spec?
  `findCanberra` can probably move to ECM? Plasma-pa now has it, plasma-desktop used to have it, now we have it here, too.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

AFFECTED FILES
  CMakeLists.txt