D13583: KFormat: Allow usage of quantities beyond bytes and seconds

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jul 15 14:33:56 BST 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D13583#292115 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13583#292115>, @bcooksley wrote:

  > You can add #windows <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/windows/> to a review, however there still needs to be a degree of responsibility by those who are actually making commits to projects (especially in the case of #Frameworks <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/frameworks/>).

  Sure, breaking things on purpose or by complete ignorance is not what I mean here. I am searching for responsibility of those who want to see certain platforms supported, to have known ways to approach them in case of such emergencies, where progress is inhibited due to platform-specific issues (and especially when it comes to ClosedSource/questionably licensed platforms which undermine the whole idea oif KDE software).

  Or even see those stakeholders proactively care for their platform. See e.g. all the KF5 unit tests which only fail on Windows. That does not help those who work on enhancing KF5 for FLOSS platforms, they cannot be sure if it was their work which fails on that other platform. It also sends a signal of dont-care to their fellows :(

  And app developers using KF5 on those platforms need to take responsibility, too. Saying "oh, In version x.y.z things worked for me on all platforms, now don't dare to touch it, as I only care for my app and not somebody else needs" does not work for shared libraries. They are shared between all the app developers, not given to them as free present. We are collaborating here on the KF5 libraries. Delegating platform maintainership on your active fellows is surely not what we want, right?

  > The fix in this case is likely relatively trivial, so it should be done by the original developer.

  Even if trivial, it needs persons not interested in a platform (and here even a platform from the dark side of the software universe) do work for those who are interested in it. Which also means, that very issue which caused the need for a workaround is not reported upstream by the stakeholders or tracked in any way by them. We do not know e.g. which versions of the compilers are affected, so when this workaround can be removed again to clean the code.

  Thankfully your work on the staging builds for review requests might improve the situation., catching such breakage before its enters the repos. But it still needs some organized way to have stakeholders of all platforms involved, taking up their duties of maintainership of the platforms. If things should be supported on Android, Windows, etc, there need to be well known point of contacts.

REPOSITORY
  R244 KCoreAddons