D13880: [KMoreTools] Reduce menu hierarchy

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jul 4 16:57:28 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  If it's important for uninstalled tools to be not always be visible, maybe what we should do is embed the //content// of the KNewStuff menu in Spectacle rather than exposing the whole thing as a sub-menu. Then we could make a few string changes, and it would be like this in Spectacle:

  No apps installed:

    Open Screenshots folder
    Print...
    Install apps to Record screen    >

  One app installed:

    Open Screenshots folder
    Print...
    ----------------------------------
             Record screen
    Open SimpleScreenRecorder
    Install alternatives             >   Peek
                                         Vokoscreen

  All apps installed:

    Open Screenshots folder
    Print...
             Record screen
    Open SimpleScreenRecorder
    Open Peek
    Open Vokoscreen

  This would have the benefit that you could avoid a level of hierarchy for the workflow of actually actually opening an installed screen recording app in Spectacle, but would have the disadvantage that it would involve some additional code changes in Spectacle (and other apps that include the KNewStuff menu as a sub-menu).

REPOSITORY
  R304 KNewStuff