D13777: KMessageWidget : revert to using highlight colour for Information style (WIP)

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 3 11:27:41 BST 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  Since there's been mention about aligning Kirigami and re: the (IMHO) controversial approach of using foreground (text) colours for background purposes:

  Have you guys considered using the 4 colours in question only for the message text and outer frame, keeping the background intact (or possibly just a bit lighter or darker depending on its initial brightness and/or the theme/user's contrast setting)? The result should be more subtle and more reliably as readable as allowed by the theme.

  I've done a very quick assessment, using the 0.2 alpha to darken dark window backgrounds and brighten light window backgrounds (using QColor::darker and QColor::lighter) which gives

  F6005564: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6005564>

  That's Breeze vs. Breeze Dark vs. my custom theme.

  two observations:

  - lighter background colours are brightened less progressively to avoid hitting pure white too quickly
  - a hair-thin black outline for the text could increase readability for some combinations but appears to be impossible with stylesheets. (This is true in general, not just for this experiment.)

REPOSITORY
  R236 KWidgetsAddons