D9070: KDE platform plugin: don't force default stylename on user-specified fonts

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jan 27 10:19:35 UTC 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   Is this change purely a conversation of what developers use in code to call up fonts in their applications?

  I think so.

  >   Or does this also include a discussion where regular users have interfaces that allow changes to font naming? Let's say, something like System Settings that would allow users to change the naming for system fonts?

  That already exists as you must have noticed: the Fonts settings panel.

  This suggested change removes one source of stylenames being set on fonts beyond the user's control. In the original/current code, the table with the default fonts (those used before the user makes any customisations) contains stylenames. Later on in the code those are set on the fonts being looked up.
  The modified version still does that, but only if looked-up font already has a stylename set.

  Concretely this means a better guarantee that the trick of removing the stylename part from the font descriptions in settings (rc) files will actually work.

  The modification should be transparent to anyone who does NOT remove stylenames and is thus the least invasive change. I still think the platform theme plugin should never have started calling setStyleName in the first place, and certainly not for default fonts that are perfectly described by the PANOSE system and thus don't need a stylename.

REPOSITORY
  R135 Integration for Qt applications in Plasma