D9824: Optimize inotify KDirWatch backend: map inotify wd to Entry

Milian Wolff noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jan 22 08:59:49 UTC 2018

mwolff added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9824#193095, @dfaure wrote:

  > This patch fixes a O(n) performance issue in the inotify backend using a cache, which makes KDirWatch *better* suited for applications that use KDirWatch heavily. Clearly a step in the right direction. Yes a cache needs memory, like all caches, how else is one going to optimize linear searches [in unsorted data]...
  >
  > I looked at whether other backends have a similar linear search, and only KDirWatchPrivate::checkFAMEvent has something similar, so FAM could use a cache where the key would be the "request number" as obtained with FAMREQUEST_GETREQNUM. That's a different patch though. The other backends don't have such a linear search, why are we even talking of "doing the same for the QSFW backend"? That's not applicable. How about taking a look at the code before requesting to optimize linear searches that don't exist?

  Note that many other functions iterate over all entries in `m_mapEntries`:

    void KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntries(KDirWatch *instance)
    void KDirWatchPrivate::stopScan(KDirWatch *instance)
    void KDirWatchPrivate::startScan(KDirWatch *instance, bool notify, bool skippedToo)
    void KDirWatchPrivate::resetList(KDirWatch *instance, bool skippedToo)
    void KDirWatchPrivate::slotRescan() // twice even!
    void KDirWatchPrivate::famEventReceived()
    void KDirWatchPrivate::checkFAMEvent(FAMEvent *fe)
    void KDirWatchPrivate::statistics()

  This is why I claim that more situations can trigger high CPU load when the list is large.

REPOSITORY
  R244 KCoreAddons