Dependency Loop: Purpose

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jan 21 21:45:03 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El dijous, 18 de gener de 2018, a les 19:41:59 CET, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been examining the dependencies for Purpose, and it appears that
>> it has build time dependencies on 'kaccounts-integration' and
>> 'kdeconnect-kde'
>>
>> This creates an effective dependency loop as these two projects are
>> dependent on Frameworks.
>>
>> Any suggestions to fix this? If it is for a plugin i'd suggest that
>> the plugins in question be relocated into those projects as Frameworks
>> really shouldn't depend on things in Applications or Extragear.
>>
>> This also increases the risk of CI breakage as those projects, along
>> with everything they depend on is now required by Frameworks.
>
> Is it actually a loop though? I mean it doesn't seem kaccounts-integration and
> kdeconnect-kde depend on purpose either directly or indirectly, no?
>
> But yes I agree it's a bit weird.

At the moment it isn't a loop, but traditionally all Frameworks have
been part of "kf5umbrella" which is a virtual target in the dependency
metadata which resolves to all Frameworks. We then have rules which
specify that everything in Applications, Extragear and Playground
depend on kf5umbrella, which is why you don't have to specify the
explicit Frameworks you need in the dependency metadata.

If purpose were added to kf5umbrella then we would have a loop, and
from a logical perspective it means that Frameworks depends on
Applications which in turn depends on Frameworks (at the release unit
level), which is a bit weird as well.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Cheers,