Possible regression in kio with data loss

Jaime jtamate at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 10:56:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

  Last weekend I did the following:
  * build kio using kdesrc-build
  * copy the resulting bin/kf5/file.so to /usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio
  * ldconfig
  * restart the session
  Just to be sure that all processes are using the new kio.

  I copied files to an ntfs filesystem and the files were copied and the
messages about rights where shown.

  Today I've done the same as last weekend, but when I copy a file to the
same filesystem, there is a message that the owner can't be changed, and
the resulting file has always 0 bytes (screenshot attached). If I move the
file, the original file content is lost, and also the destination has 0
bytes.

  This can be reproduced also in a loopback vfat, created following the
next steps:

dd if=/dev/zero of=fat.fs bs=1024 count=5120
(create the file fat.fs with only 5 MB)
/usr/sbin/mkfs.vfat fat.fs
(create the filesystem)
sudo mount -t vfat -o uid=0000,fmask=0007,dmask=0000,rw,noexec,loop fat.fs
/mnt
(mount being root the owner)

try to copy any file to /mnt

sudo umount /mnt
(don't forget to umount it when the tests are finished).

Best Regards.