Problem in loading QM translations with LANGUAGE="" envar

Safa Alfulaij safa1996alfulaij at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:08:02 UTC 2018

Hello all.

After doing some investigation about a problem, I came into an issue in
translation system).
Previously, I had my LANGUAGE enviroment variable containing “ar”, which is
because I added Arabic in my “Language” KCM (without knowing that I don't
need it if the locale is alread set to Arabic).
This was normal and things was translated well. Today I removed that “ar”
because it's not needed, and all applications (Qt, KDE, Gnome, other KF5s)
worked except for those frameworks which are using QM files (the ones with
“_qt” suffix). The translation isn't loaded and strings are shown in
English.

I've made this very small Python script to test it. Notice the untranslated
B (Bytes) and the translated one (بايت). The number 20 (in result is ٢٠) is
localized correctly using the QLocale class, meaning that the locale is set
properly.

printvar LANGUAGE
Result >>> ''

BEGIN PYTHON3 CODE:

> from PyQt5.QtCore import *
> from PyQt5.QtWidgets import *
> from PyKF5 import KCoreAddons
> app = QApplication([""])
> format = KCoreAddons.KFormat()
> format.formatByteSize(20)
> Result >>> '٢٠ B'

END PYTHON3 CODE

LANGUAGE=ar

BEGIN PYTHON3 CODE:

> from PyQt5.QtCore import *
> from PyQt5.QtWidgets import *
> from PyKF5 import KCoreAddons
> app = QApplication([""])
> format = KCoreAddons.KFormat()
> format.formatByteSize(20)
> Result >>> '٢٠ بايت'

END PYTHON3 CODE

Regards,
Safa

P.S.: I am not subscribed to the list, please CC me.