D7008: Don't export internal helper executables

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jan 4 12:29:35 UTC 2018

sitter added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7008#185897, @apol wrote:

  > Or as @dfaure says, don't install at all, because I don't see who uses this. Or remove altogether?🔥

  The helpers are used by sonnet at build time, so to cross compile sonnet you need the helpers of the host (of e.g. x64) while you xbuild (for aarch64) as you cannot build the helpers for aarch64 and then run them on x64. Much the same as kconfig compliation, except the only user is the framework itself.

  Mind you, one could solve this "properly" without having to install the helpers. I am not sure the time investment is worth the effort though given we know the kconfig approach is sane and working in production.
  One could convert the helpers into a sepearate cmake "subproject" which gets built by the sonnet build (i.e. sonnet source contains sonnet-helpers source and builds them during build but disregarding the cross compile configs and never installing the helpers). Which could probably be done via `ExternalProject`. It does however raise the question of how do you pass cmake configuration to that subproject (different prefix so it can find libraries etc). So that may open another can of worms.

REPOSITORY
  R246 Sonnet

BRANCH
  master