D10702: Always use a job to delete files to avoid freezing process waiting on IO

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Feb 25 18:23:04 UTC 2018

dfaure requested changes to this revision.
dfaure added a comment.

  "unlink() in most of the modern filesystems is not affected by the size of the file" doesn't match my experience, I have seen konqueror/dolphin freeze for 10s while deleting a 8GB file (on a somewhat old system, no SSD). And that would actually be the reason for this patch to go in. But on the other hand, I have a hard time believing that this patch doesn't make things slower for the case of many small files, due to the communication overhead with the kioslave (and that's the reason I wrote this code in the first place).

  Maybe the right solution is to use QFile::remove if the file is small, and use the kioslave if the file is big. But finding the file size in the first place takes a little bit of time too :-)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO