proposal to extend and to improve KColorSchemeManager

Alexander Semke alexander.semke at web.de
Sun Feb 18 13:56:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

I recently switched from using Digikam's code for the handling of color
schemes in the application to KColorSchemeManager in LabPlot [1].
It works, but there're couple of things that I miss:

* "Default"-entry in the color scheme menu to easily switch to the
default desktop color scheme
* save the settings for the selected color scheme and load the proper
scheme on start
* automatically set the corresponding action in the scheme menu checked
for the used color scheme on start
* include couple of "kf5 default" color scheme definition files as part
of KF5 so the application don't need to provide them on their own
* standard name and icon used for the color scheme menu title
* main menu bar and QMdiArea don't get updated on color scheme changes.
For QMdiArea I added a "hack" in LabPlot now [1], the problem with the
menu bar still remains.

At the moment it looks to me like different applications (digikam,
kdevelop, krita, labplot, kstars, etc.) take care of these points on
their own or don't handle them at all.
It would be great to provide this kind of functionality in a central
place. This would also help to provide a common behavior for all
KF5-based applications.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Alexander