D10437: Limit the use of file.so for privilege operation to one application

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Feb 12 09:15:14 UTC 2018

dfaure added a comment.

  Indeed the sender could definitely fake the PID.
  One could generate and send a sha1 and store it in the slave (and send it as metadata with every command), but this can still be sniffed.
  I assume the KAuth security principle is that an intruder (who would have access to your session, and therefore can do a lot of things already, including installing a keylogger), shouldn't be able to get root access?
  In that case, either kio_file should lose priviledges immediately (sounds annoying for the user, but maybe that's the price of this feature?), or the app (libkio) should perform the file operations directly.

  I'm surprised you didn't hit that yet, btw. E.g. deleting local files, will not involve kio_file. DeleteJobPrivate::deleteNextFile calls QFile::remove() directly. Of course this isn't the case for all file operations (otherwise your patch wouldn't work at all), and it might not even be a good idea to generalize this (it's already visible that deleting a 6 GB local file will freeze the app, because of this - which was written under the assumption that deleting is fast).

  Brainstorming further: the other possibility is that kio_file processes that gained root auth, cannot be reused by another app later on. This could be done somehow in the KIO scheduler or in klauncher, if they can be told that this slave should be killed rather than reused once idle. The design of that stuff isn't fully clear in my mind (I didn't write that part), but make sure not to get confused by "idle slave which is associated to my process" (KIO::Scheduler's IdleJob, kills the slave after 3 minutes), and "idle slave that has been returned to klauncher" (in frameworks/kinit), for use by another process (or killed after 30s). But I can't find the code that returns an idle slave to klauncher (only a "slave that has been put on hold", which is a different use case (documented in kio/docs/krun-passing-slaves.txt).

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO