D10141: Restore Persistence=session for the file ioslave kauth helper

Chinmoy Ranjan Pradhan noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 9 16:26:53 UTC 2018

chinmoyr added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10141#197039, @fvogt wrote:

  > There is one issue I have with this. While this is close to the `sudo`-mode of temporary authorization grants, it doesn't work that way as the whole session has full access via file.so.

  How exactly? Is there any way for an application to choose a slave process instead of being assigned one at random?
  Till now what I have observed is after a successful authentication only the slave process is authorised to perform the action and not the application itself. So if a malicious app wants to perform some kind of privileged file operation then it has to (somehow) pick up a slave that had been already authorized. And even if that were possible the slave will still show a confirmation dialog.

  > It would be great if this could work with just the application which initially requested the privilege.
  > With this, the whole session has full root-level access to literally everything on the system.

  I do understand having authorization persist for the entire session means disaster but when kauth generates the policy file this option only results in "auth_admin_keep".
  Polkit's manpage says : **auth_admin_keep - Like auth_admin but the authorization is kept for a brief period (e.g. five minutes).**

  Also when I execute **pkcheck --list-temp** after authenticating a file operation started by dolphin the output I get includes these lines

    subject:          unix-process:9532:1210162 (file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/1000/klauncherTJ7042.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/1000/kioslavetestAX7208.3.slave-socket)
    expires:          4 min 47 sec from now (Fri Feb  9 21:43:47 2018)

  This suggests **auth_admin_keep** results in temporary authorization of one particular process for 5 minutes and not for the entire user session.
  So can you explain me one more time why you think persistence=session is a bad idea? Do correct me if I got anything (or everything?) above wrong.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO