D10245: Add more default user locations to Places model/panel

Störm Poorun noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Feb 3 03:20:51 UTC 2018

spoorun added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10245#199691, @rkflx wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10245#199688, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > I don't think almost any users use or know about that because the two most obvious methods of adding something to the Places panel--drag-and-drop and the file's "Add to places" context menu item--make it global by default.
  >

  > Users adding custom entries has nothing to do with your patch. If a users adds a place and it appears everywhere, well that's his problem. Your patch adds it everywhere //for every user//, which is what I disagree with.

  It's easy for power users to 'hide' places they don't want in the panel.
  It's much easier than for the majority of users, lay users, who can neither add nor remove panel items, and want to see their pictures, their documents, and their downloads.
  They also want to find their images and pdfs using search, the current interface makes that easy for them, for the majority workflow, who may not find things at easily otherwise.
  Most PC users, including many Linux users, don't even know where they store pictures or documents, they just expect them to appear, and if the UI (in this case Dolphin and the file-picker) doesn't do that anymore they're lost.
  For those who need more or less items in the panel, the minority, they're far more likely to be ones who can add or remove it themselves as required.

  >> Also if we add Music and Pictures et al to just Dolphin by default, then they're not going to show up in the file open/save dialogs where they're useful, right?
  >
  > See comment above. I doubt Kate's users want to see Pictures. I agree that some apps would want to opt-in, not sure how to do that. I think the best thing would be to make this mimetype dependent: If the file dialog detects you want to open/save Music files, it should add "Music" to the standard model. That would be an addition to the file dialog though, not where you are currently changing it. Do we have a resident file dialog expert around we could ask about that?

  It should be fine for Pictures to show up in Kate's dialogue. It's easy to miss something very important for much users: they prefer - our brains prefer - consistency in presentation - it makes it easier to find things.
  If the panel changes each time we open it both feels less comfortable, less familiar, and makes it harder for our eyes to jump to what we want (whether through Kate, or uploading via browser, or trying to open a pdf).
  So (unintuitively) removing Pictures in Kate can slow the workflow rather than improve it.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO