save and restore the geometry of KMainWindow

Alexander Semke alexander.semke at web.de
Fri Feb 2 18:55:38 UTC 2018

On 01.02.2018 20:52, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 30 de gener de 2018, a les 21:06:02 CET, Alexander Semke va
> escriure:
>
>> The state is already saved and restored there. Why not to do the same
>> for the geometry?
> I think that it's generally frowned upon putting your position on screen
> because it means "you know too much".
>
> Basically it's supposed to be the window manager task, not your app.
And if the window manager doesn't do this the user has to move their
windows around again upon start?
Especially when working on big displays where the user wants to have
certain placements for different programs
it would be helpful also to restore the position on the screen
automatically.

The size is being restored, at least for a couple of programs I checked
(konsole, kwrite, dolphin). Is this done by kwin?
I don't think there is a big practical difference from the user
perspective between "restoring the size" and "restoring the position"
with respect to "you know too much"...

--
Alexander