D10245: Add more default user locations to Places model/panel

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 2 18:29:13 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10245#199673, @rkflx wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10245#199671, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Keeping Pictures but removing Music would seem to be a compromise, no? But since this has proved controversial, it's obviously not going in anytime soon, so no need to worry about that.
  >

  > Well, Documents and Downloads would be useful (perhaps Desktop if we really want to promote that, personally I'd leave it out).
  >
  > If you want to do it right, your patch (or multiple patches) could:
  >
  > - add common stuff to KIO (Documents, Downloads)
  > - add special stuff to Dolphin (Search For, Pictures, Music etc.)
  > - remove special stuff from KIO (e.g. Search For)
  > - change the order
  >
  > > Since the places model is now in KIO, once a user adds a location in Dolphin, it automatically shows up in all apps now, right? Or am I wrong and there is a way to make things appear only in Dolphin and the file open/save dialogs, but not other apps' own uses of `KFilePlaces`? If so, that would seem to be an obvious intermediate solution and I'll focus on that.
  >
  > Well, if the user checks Only show when using this application (Dolphin) while adding an item, it should (unless there's a bug) only appear in Dolphin, otherwise it will be available everywhere. Both are valid use cases.

  I don't think almost any users use or know about that because the two most obvious methods of adding something to the Places panel--drag-and-drop and the file's "Add to places" context menu item--make it global by default. Also if we add Music and Pictures et al to just Dolphin by default, then they're not going to show up in the file open/save dialogs where they're useful, right?

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO