D10245: Add more default user locations to Places model/panel

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 2 18:17:53 UTC 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10245#199671, @ngraham wrote:

  > Keeping Pictures but removing Music would seem to be a compromise, no? But since this has proved controversial, it's obviously not going in anytime soon, so no need to worry about that.

  Well, Documents and Downloads would be useful (perhaps Desktop if we really want to promote that, personally I'd leave it out).

  If you want to do it right, your patch (or multiple patches) could:

  - add common stuff to KIO (Documents, Downloads)
  - add special stuff to Dolphin (Search For, Pictures, Music etc.)
  - remove special stuff from KIO (e.g. Search For)
  - change the order

  > Since the places model is now in KIO, once a user adds a location in Dolphin, it automatically shows up in all apps now, right? Or am I wrong and there is a way to make things appear only in Dolphin and the file open/save dialogs, but not other apps' own uses of `KFilePlaces`? If so, that would seem to be an obvious intermediate solution and I'll focus on that.

  Well, if the user checks Only show when using this application (Dolphin) while adding an item, it should (unless there's a bug) only appear in Dolphin, otherwise it will be available everywhere. Both are valid use cases.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO