D10245: Add more default user locations to Places model/panel

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 2 15:13:10 UTC 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10245#199564, @ngraham wrote:

  > The scrollbar issue is real, though I don't think scrollbars are as awful as you do. :-) Something to think about.

  Not awful per se, but a huge problem if they hide important stuff below the fold.

  > This raises a greater question of whether or not it makes sense to have `KFilePlaces` in Gwenview. Gwenview is an image viewer, and necessarily, the majority of `KFilePlaces` items are not going to be relevant to pictures.

  It's very useful if users can add directories and then have them show up in every app. I'm thinking of things like `Projects/2018/BigEvent/Files`. Note those aren't filetype or app specific.

  > I feel like the label duplication with the Search For section is a minor issue, and mostly a red herring. The header is right there, so at least in English, the implied imperative sentence is quite obvious: "Search for Documents", "Search for Music," etc.

  We'd need an eyetracking study to resolve that. I suspect your solution would get worse results, because the headers are only looked at second when randomly searching for something (at least in my experience when I evaluated eyetracking videos). Not having duplication would be better.

  > if anything, the functionality gained by this patch is more important

  That's true. I doubt the search is used that often. While for Recently Saved the list of results might be manageable, for Search For the list of results can be too large to be useful.

  ---

  Suggestion which would resolve most of my issues:

  - Remove "Pictures" and "Music" again.
  - Remove Search for (could be added back once we have collapsible headers).
  - Move up Devices, right below Remote.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO