D17737: [CopyJob] Create clones in btrf/xfs mount

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 24 00:50:33 GMT 2018

bruns added a comment.

  In D17737#381354 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17737#381354>, @chinmoyr wrote:

  > In D17737#381029 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17737#381029>, @bruns wrote:
  >
  > > I think it would be much simpler if you just tried to do the the FICLONE iotctl in the job, without any prior checking:
  > >
  > > - no possibility for races
  > > - less syscals
  > > - less code
  >

  > I am not sure I followed you here. To me ioctl seems to naturally fit in FileProtocol::copy(). Can I ask you to elaborate a bit?

  I meant scrap everything but the changes from file_unix.cpp.

  Worst case - the ioctl fails (for whatever reason). That is one additional ioctl/syscall. The probing code using KMountPoint::List::findByPath internally creates a QFileInfo, thus does a stat (syscall) as well.

  Best case - the ioctl succeeds. You save the syscall required for the probing.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO