D17310: Improve Kile icon with LaTeX font

Michel Ludwig noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 3 17:35:25 GMT 2018

mludwig added a comment.

  In D17310#370758 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17310#370758>, @ngraham wrote:

  > I would not recommend embedding the app name into the icon itself. The text isn't localizable, the icon would become really cramped, and in any event it would look weird since no other app does this.
  >
  > For those reasons, our HIG specifically recommends against this: https://hig.kde.org/style/icon.html?highlight=icons#general-guidelines

  Well, it's not really arbitrary text, but the name of the application, so I it wouldn't be localized much. Besides, Kile's official icons have contained the character "K" or the string "Kile" for over 15 years.

  F6453199: kile_big.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6453199> F6453202: favicon.ico <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6453202>

  Off the top of my head, another example of such an icon design is the one of Evince <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince>, which contains a stylized letter 'e' - I know it's from the competition ;)

  Or to some extent, the icon of kcharselect, which I really like.

  The biggest issue that I have with the square root icon is that it doesn't symbolize enough that it's the icon of an application. To me, it just looks like the application of a file type. Some dynamic element is missing, like a pencil, for example, to indicate that it's an application for editing such files.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons

BRANCH
  improve-kile-icon (branched from master)