D17245: Add string formatting function to property info

Alexander Stippich noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Dec 1 11:14:34 GMT 2018

astippich added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> bruns wrote in formatstrings.cpp:83
> IMHO thats not better at all - what does "top, left" refer to? And whats the difference to "left, top"?
>
> Every orientation save "normal" and "rotated 180" is ambiguous without further description. It is of no interest for most users, even serious photographers, as it is a technical **implementation** detail. Creation times, aperture, exposure time ... are useful for users.
>
> So we should hide it by default, and for the 0.1% interested in it we can give a description they can lookup themselves, e.g. "Rotated 90° CCW (6)"

Phew, I didn't anticipate that these strings are that controversial since I'm basically copying existing behavior.

I'm fine with adding "CCW" (I think the number should not be shown, it can still be queried separately after all) if that is sufficient for you. Hiding this information is not the responsibility of KFileMetaData.
Besides image size and date, orientation is the only property for images that can be shown in Dolphin currently, so I suspect there are actually users of this.

If we need more fundamental discussion, I'd like to defer that to another revision, since this is currently a drop-in behavior for Dolphin and Baloo-Widgets and copies the status quo.  I'd like to land this revision as a starting point to get the infrastructure done and improve upon afterwards. There are many more properties that need special formatting, especially for exif data.

REPOSITORY
  R286 KFileMetaData