D10937: Retouching of Screen Layout Selection OSD Icons

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 20 13:22:43 BST 2018

ngraham added a subscriber: gladhorn.
ngraham added a comment.

  In D10937#311297 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10937#311297>, @bruns wrote:

  > I think this works better if you actually rotate the screen:
  >  F6203935: rotate2.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6203935>

  In KScreen, we recently did something similar and just used fully-rotated versions:

  F6206188: Rotation.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6206188>

  This works well because when the screen is physically rotated already, it becomes really easy to select the right choice because only one of them has an icon that looks like it's oriented correctly. We might want to consider doing the same here. So the icons that depict rotation wouldn't need to have rotation arrows or windows that were turned at funny angles; they'd simply be depict the final rotation state. In which case, the "base" of the screen should probably show up on the side that the display has been rotated towards, too.

  As for moving the icons into the Plasma theme, I approve, but I think that should be done //first// and in a separate commit/patch. (The location is https://cgit.kde.org/plasma-framework.git/tree/src/desktoptheme/breeze/icons).So you would submit one patch to move the icons into the plasma theme, then a second to remove them here (which is safe because `breeze-icons` and `plasma-frameworks` have the same release schedules), and then in a third patch, you'd replace the existing icons with your awesome new ones.

  Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Please let me know how I can help you with that. If we're going to make the move, we need to do it fairly soon so that both changes (moving to plasma theme and also improving the icons) land in KDE Frameworks 5.50, which is going to be the version that Plasma 5.14 depends on.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons