D13583: KFormat: Allow usage of quantities beyond bytes and seconds

Safa Alfulaij noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Aug 7 22:15:09 BST 2018

safaalfulaij added a comment.

  > Yes. As you said, these are symbols. For the names there may be transliterations, the symbols stay the same, to avoid ambiguities. This also matches my experience with datasheets, the text may be chinese, but measurements are given in SI units.

  I just saw¹ this PR and I'd like to say something.
  Yes, in scientific papers we use English terms/symbols so that they are understood by others, and to have a system for communication (same goes for IUPAC naming.)
  But for users this is wrong, especially with different scripts, and even with right-to-left languages. We are here so that they understand that, not others.
  These are the Chinese <https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/summary/zh.html#6342>, Russian <https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/summary/ru.html#6072>, Arabic <https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/summary/ar.html#6722>, Hebrew <https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/summary/he.html#6070> and Persian <https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/summary/fa.html#5388> Unicode pages showing different units.

  Maybe in Chinese you don't use the localized version of the symbols, but I think you use English full-width characters, right? How these will be localized then?
  Same case goes for Russian that uses thier cyrillic script.

  Arabic, Hebrew and Persian are a different case. It is always considered bad to mix between Arabic and English text, and if so then in extreme hard cases (where you can't translate MySQL or a command-line application that no one really use except for developers, or maybe Qt method names or classes.).
  But here we are mixing just few characters with few numbers and things are in a mess. If this was used in QML (where text direction is detected automaticlly), things will go wrong for RTL languages, and you'll see the unit name on the right and the quantity on the left.

  F6180270: Screenshot_٢٠١٨٠٨٠٧_٢٣٥٨٠٩.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6180270>
  //Fixed by prepending a RLM to the sentence, as Kate detects text direction automatically as well//

  Please, if your language uses English symbols, it doesn't mean that every other must follow. KI18n previous (and maybe current, not sure) developers created scripting-enabled translation system so that each language team can do whatever suits thier language.

  Thank you.

  1: After I saw the new PR <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13584> using this.

  P.S: Check these files in KDE l10n repositories:
  https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/fr/messages/frameworks/kcoreaddons5_qt.po?view=markup (starting from line 225)
  https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/ru/messages/frameworks/kcoreaddons5_qt.po?view=markup (starting from line 230)
  https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/fa/messages/frameworks/kcoreaddons5_qt.po?view=markup (starting from line 325)
  https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/he/messages/frameworks/kcoreaddons5_qt.po?view=markup (starting from line 247)