D12538: Always prompt for overwrite on double-click in save dialog

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Apr 28 13:10:19 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12538#255184 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12538#255184>, @ltoscano wrote:

  > In D12538#255183 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12538#255183>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > In D12538#255101 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12538#255101>, @ltoscano wrote:
  > >
  > > > Does it work if a newer KIO is used with an older version of those applications?
  > >

  > > In Kate's case, it overrides the default save dialog to not handle overwrite, just using a newer KIO wouldn't help and we would definitely want to ship that fix before rolling out the KIO change.
  >

  > If I understand it correctly if a the current Kate (or other applications handling the overwrite case) is used with KIO patched with this change, then it will still work because Kate will handle this feature as before.

  Correct. It will just be a bit annoying in the case that you didn't mean to overwrite, because the "are you sure" dialog will only appear //after//the save dialog has disappeared, so you'll need to open it again.

  > So a patched KIO should be released before Kate and then Kate should be fixed and depend on this newer version. Is all of this correct?

  My preference would be to release a patched Kate first, if we think that's appropriate for an 18.04.1 point release. Here are our options, along with what will happen for each case:

  - **Release patched KIO before patched Kate**: Double-clicking on a file triggers overwrite in Kate itself, so the dialog will have annoyingly gone away
  - **Release patched Kate before patched KIO**: No drawbacks, but users don't get the desirable prompt-overwrite-from-the-save-dialog-on-double-click behavior
  - **Release both simultaneously** (mostly impossible due to different release schedules): users-double-clicking on a file in Kate's Save dialog get the prompt above the dialog, and canceling it humanely keeps the dialog open.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO