D12156: implement reading of rating tag

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 23 22:30:41 UTC 2018

bruns added a comment.

  In D12156#252575 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12156#252575>, @mgallien wrote:

  > In D12156#249994 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12156#249994>, @astippich wrote:

  > > > I that case I would suggest to use xattr only on systems that support it, and use POPM/RATING on those that don't. I afraid users will find it confusing to have two ways of rating a file. Or is rating via dolphin/baloo-widgets not planned?
  > > >  Because extractors are called in sequence it would also be possible to create a dedicate taglibRatingExtractor (much easier to apply build conditionals).
  > >

  > > We still need the ability to read the tag, since users expect to see the rating in music players.
  > >  For baloo-widgets I created D12157 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12157>
  >

  > If I have correctly understood the ideas behind the conception of Baloo, we should probably prefer to store the rating with a "native" solution instead of the xattr one that is not portable outside of software using KFileMetaData.
  >
  > We have to stay compatible with older versions of KFileMetaData. So we should push the same rating to both properties and try to read it from both properties in the cases where only one exists.
  >
  > Could you try to modify your patch to do that ?

  Your interpretation is correct, Baloo works as a cache, storing data in a normalized form, to speed up lookup. It is not a permanent data store.

  Storing/updating metadata inside the file has the benefit it works independent of the filesystem capabities. On the other hand, one risks damaging the file, and synchronization between devices may become more difficult.

REPOSITORY
  R286 KFileMetaData