D7929: [WIP] Add new Column View option to KDirOperator

Fabian Vogt noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Apr 21 14:43:12 UTC 2018

fvogt abandoned this revision.
fvogt added a comment.

  In D7929#251013 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D7929#251013>, @ngraham wrote:

  > We're doing a UI and usability overhaul of the Open & Save dialogs in T8552: Polish Open/Save dialogs <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8552>, and I think perhaps we should revisit this. I'm very strongly in favor of adding column-based navigation to both `KDirOperator` and also Dolphin (though I understand that's much more difficult). However I don't think it's the end of the world if we can only add it to the open/save dialogs for now, since navigation is the primary use case for these dialogs. On MacOS, column view is practically the only mode I use for navigation, since it's so much faster than the others.
  >
  > Is there anything we can do to ease the difficulty of the Qt contribution process for you, @fvogt?

  I don't think there is - I don't really want to maintain a component in Qt which I'm not even very familiar with (I only used it once, here).

  That combined with the design issues this currently has (hidden dirs etc.) makes this not easy to get into shape. The current patch state is more a PoC than a finished product...
  So I'll abandon this diff for now.

  Having it as part of dolphin would be nicer,  as the open/save dialog is per default too small to have more than two columns visible at a time.

  So once this is part of dolphin I'll reconsider this and maybe work on it some more.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO