D12327: Show Detailed Tree View by default

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Apr 21 13:51:44 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12327#250898 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12327#250898>, @rkflx wrote:

  > In D12327#250864 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12327#250864>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > - Bandwagon: Windows and macOS's default details style views allow expansion by default too
  >

  > I'm all for going tree-style, but honestly I don't see expansion in Windows? Are we testing different versions? (In case they are fictitious, that would not help your point.)

  Ah, you're right, never mind. In Windows 10, even with 8 (8!) view modes, none of them allow tree-style expansion.

  In D12327#250898 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12327#250898>, @rkflx wrote:

  > In D12327#250864 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12327#250864>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > I think it's best to have two buttons, each corresponding to a very different style of view that's optimized for a clear use case.
  >

  > That would be ideal, of course.

  Yes I think we should shoot for that, if possible.

  > In D12327#250875 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12327#250875>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  >> Or, a compromise: If we wanted to go all the way and have Dolphin-style options (Icons View, Compact view, Detailed view), I could support that for consistency's sake as long as we have three buttons like Dolphin does, rather than a combobox or a drop-down menu. That would still run into the technical challenges that I outlined above though.
  >

  > As hinted at before, I could agree to that. However, we need more space then. How about moving Up, i.e. only a single button, in front of the breadcrumb bar? Would help in Dolphin too, and has been seen in Windows before, while avoiding some of the problems with moving every navigation button there, like you proposed elsewhere.

  In fact, if we integrated the Up button into the `KURLNavigator` widget, it would solve some issues automatically (e.g. lack of up button in Gwenview). I could see some people complaining about it though, because then the navigation buttons would be in two different vertical planes (since the URL navigator is always below the toolbar). Maybe we could live with that though?

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO