D12077: Show view mode buttons in the open/save dialog's toolbar

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Apr 14 23:18:11 UTC 2018

rkflx accepted this revision.
rkflx added a comment.

  Ah, small misunderstanding: I was mainly referring to not making Above filename (in conjunction with Short View) the overall default for the dialog. If Detailed (Tree) View was the default, changing the mode of Short View is probably fine. We could also add a third button, so it would work just like in Dolphin (needs removing Reload, but who is using that anyway, because it's not even present in Dolphin? See also D12215 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12215> ;).

  Regarding your examples of primarily "visual" documents: I acknowledge that's one of the uses cases. However, please understand that here we are building a generic dialog. It also has to work for save (where previews do not make much sense, because you are mainly selecting a directory and then typing the filename manually), and for all other filetypes where you'd rather have long names than a big icon. The unifying theme for all items is the filename, not the preview! IOW, your use case is only a subset of all possible cases, but the default choice should fit all situations. Of course your work in making it easier to switch is important here, too…

  ---

  In D12077#246071 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12077#246071>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Use Detailed Tree View and adjust separators and spacing

  LGTM

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

BRANCH