D11838: Turn on line numbers by default

Michel Ludwig noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 3 05:13:27 UTC 2018

mludwig added a comment.

  In D11838#238728 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11838#238728>, @dhaumann wrote:

  > Personally, I dislike the idea of passing options in createView for a very simple reason: we have document variables, .kateconfig files, settings on the UI, the command line, the ConfigInterface. Adding yet another way to configure KTextEditor sounds like a bad idea.

  All these mechanisms allow to change "current" config settings, but not their default values, as far as I can see. Passing options to createView would also allow it, e.g., to control which actions should be created. Kile has to delete some actions after creating a view at the moment, which could be avoided. But that's another discussion.

  > If at all, the only clear way is to let an application decide to not share settings with other KTextEditor applications. E.g. KTextEditor::Editor::setUseSharedConfig(bool share).

  I support this idea, but one should maybe also think about whether some settings could be better read/saved using read/writeSessionConfig. "showLineNumbers" could fall into that category.

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor