D7446: Add a Recent Documents places item to Dolphin and file pickers by default

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 23 02:33:32 UTC 2017

ngraham added a comment.

  It seems odd to have all of these special KIO URLs that we don't actually want to use because they're rough and underdeveloped. They're rough and underdeveloped because they're hidden by default, so nobody sees them, and nobody files bugs or submits patches for them. But I do see your point.

  That said, the advantage to adding this as a Places item is that it shows up in file open/save dialogs for free, which is where it's most useful. If we make this into a whole new panel, we'll have to do a bunch of otherwise unnecessary special work to get it into open/save dialogs. I don't see the advantage.

  If the objection is that the content isn't useful (why does it show URLs?), then I can fix that too, but only if by doing so, folks will be amenable to adding a "Recent Documents" entry by default. It really is useful to have recent documents aggregated somewhere.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO