Running applications and unittests without "make install"

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Sep 10 14:20:30 UTC 2017

On mercredi 30 août 2017 06:10:10 CEST Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Perhaps in the long term also the logic in ECM needs to be changed, so the
> new build artifact placement can be triggered by other means from cmake code
> which is prepared for the optional new feature (by testing the version of
> the found ECM or some set feature flag variable).

Testing the version of the found ECM would mean that two developers (one with
old ECM and one with new ECM) would get different behaviour, so they would
play ping-pong fixing up things.

On the other hand, the way I did it, the new behaviour is only triggered when
requiring ECM >= 5.38. Much like cmake triggers new policies based on the
*required* cmake version, not the found version.

Let's not blame ECM for CI issues, if the actual problem is that running tests
uninstalled got enabled for more than frameworks, when I had only requested
that to happen for frameworks ;-)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5