D8296: Use Alt+, as the standard shortcut for "Configure <Program>"

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 25 22:36:16 UTC 2017

rkflx added a comment.

  Since @ngraham added me as reviewer, here are my 2 cents. Trying the patch, I made those observations:

  - [Alt] often is released by the user only after the dialog is shown already, resulting in the (normally hidden) accelerators ("_") of the dialog showing and then dissappearing, which looks odd.
  - Normally [Alt] is used either for accessing the menu itself or in combination with the cursor/navigation keys, but not so much for shortcuts. While there are exceptions, at least our shortcuts for executing standard actions affecting all apps should IMHO stick to [Ctrl].
  - Does not work in Kontact and KMail (but does work in KOrganizer and KMail's "New Mail" window).

  Note I don't oppose the idea to have a universal shortcut for opening the preferences, but I feel that with the currently selected shortcut the net effect to the overall user experience and consistency is slightly negative.

  I won't block this patch, but instead let me add this ideas:

  - The patch is not really urgent. Do we have the chance to gather some telemetry data on the usage of shortcuts as well as on the preferences dialog? That way we could better evaluate the usefulness and maybe even choose non-conflicting shortcuts.
  - Apply the change only via a shortcut theme package for Mac refugees (not sure if can we have such a thing?)
  - If we change it at all, this should get in very early in the cycle to judge how much this conflicts with custom shortcuts users have.

REPOSITORY
  R237 KConfig