D7130: KMoreTools: Update and fix desktopfiles

Luigi Toscano noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Oct 15 21:23:25 UTC 2017

ltoscano added a subscriber: mak.
ltoscano added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7130#155151, @gregormi wrote:

  > > @ltoscano, can we commit this?
  >

  > > I still disagree in the way this is done, as it means manually periodically updating the information and it's definitely not the right thing to do.
  >
  > Hi Luigi,
  >
  > I agree with you that the manual updating process is not good. As the library was written, there was no better way. The desktop file method was chosen because it was said that they avoid duplicate translation work. See last point of the Introduction https://api.kde.org/frameworks/knewstuff/html/classKMoreTools.html ("Reduce translation effort by re-using .desktop files of the services added to the menu."). Since the goal of KMoreTools is to present applications that are not installed, I currently see no other way to ship all the desktop files.
  >
  > > That said, if @elvisangelaccio approves this, it can go in as temporary fix but the next update should work on using the appstream library to get those information from appstream files. Or any other solutions which does not involve duplicating the information.
  >
  > I looked at the appstream documentation but I was not able to extract information that would help me to understand how to use it in the KMoreTools case. To be of use in KMoreTools there should be an offline database with all needed applications and descriptions. How will this database be filled with new applications? Maybe you can point me to some suitable documentation?

  The idea is that you don't care about the database. The appstream database is downloaded/updated like the list of the packages provided by the package manager. You just query the database; check what plasma-discover does, for example. @mak , who maintain many stuff related with the appstream technology, may help as well.

REPOSITORY
  R304 KNewStuff