Adding build info attribute to KAboutData to improve bug report data?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun Oct 15 15:37:57 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 02:31:27PM +0200, Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 October 2017 19:45:00 CEST Kevin Funk wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > The KDevelop team is currently discussing a patch which adds git-describe
> > like information to the version string in KAboutData:
> >   https://phabricator.kde.org/D8158
> >   (don't bother reading through the comments...)
> >
> > *snip*
> >
> > Then, for instance in KDevelop's main.cpp:
> > ```
> > KAboutData data(...);
> > data.setBuildInfo("Version: " KDEVELOP_FULL_VERSION_STRING);
> > ```
> > ... with KDEVELOP_FULL_VERSION_STRING being "5.1.80-24-g262fb4cb9f"
>
> @KCoreAddons maintainers: Do you think that makes sense? In that case I'd
> create a patch which adds such API to KAboutData.

I still think the idea makes sense.

The name might need to be different (data.setFoo instead of addFoo).
"BuildInfo" is probably too abbreviated compared to the rest of the
names we have in the class.

Is there any thought to the idea of potentially having other build data
included with this information (e.g. ABI, potential cross-compilation,
etc.)?  If so then a generic "Build Information" is fine but then we
shouldn't assume only scm versions going forward (and some of this
information may be already separately present in the Bugzilla data).

If not, then maybe a more specific name is appropriate, like
"setBugReportDetail" (since this is intended to support improved bug
reports) or "setSourceRevision" (which describes what we're actually
capturing).  Just my thoughts, happy to support it going in however
makes the mose sense.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne