D8296: Use Ctrl+, as the standard shortcut for "Configure <Program>"

Eli MacKenzie noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Oct 15 14:20:18 UTC 2017

argonel added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D8296, @ngraham wrote:

  > I chose Ctrl+, because that's the standard shortcut for all (and I do mean all) programs in the macOS world--a standard that has started to trickle into the Windows world as well, because there was previously no standard there. Might as well standardize on what's already a de facto standard elsewhere, to avoid throwing away people's muscle memory.

  The muscle memory for Mac users isn't preserved, as the keystroke there is command-, not control, and command physically corresponds to Alt. So this only gets us a relatively new Windows shortcut, on top of the legacy CUA system. I have no idea whether Windows still follows CUA or not.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D8296#155573, @kfunk wrote:

  > In KDevelop, this is also a really important shortcut for navigating through the source. `Ctrl+,` for jumping to definition, `Ctrl+.` for jumping to declaration. /me wonders if one really needs a shortcut for configuring shortcuts at all.

  As we're a CUA-derived UI, we already have a keyboard shortcut for Configure Shortcuts: Alt-s Alt-h. Same for Configure $app: Alt-s Alt-c

  While I do find switching back and forth between Mac and CUA intermittently frustrating, we really can't easily implement the same suite of keystrokes as Mac because of the Alt combinations being reserved for menus.

REPOSITORY
  R237 KConfig