D8396: Add support for zwp_idle_inhibit_manager_v1

Martin Flöser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Nov 15 20:34:19 UTC 2017

graesslin added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D8396#168165, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > I think we need some big discussion about how powerdevil inhbitions, logind inhibitions and this are all going to fit together in a clear coherent way.

  yeah. I'm not happy with this protocol. I think it's a step backwards as we are again in a situation where an application can just block everything. And we don't have any context information available on why it's blocking.

  The only good thing is that KWin is allowed to restrict it to when the window is visible (and that's something I want to implement). And we could probably pass an inhibition to Powerdevil informing it that "Window Foo inhibits power management".

  > But given there are clients using this protocol already, I guess we need this regardless certainly at a protocol level.

  That was the reason why I implemented it. When the protocol was added to wayland-protocols I didn't consider it for implementation as I thought it's useless. But if apps use it and don't use the dbus protocol any more...

REPOSITORY
  R127 KWayland

BRANCH
  idle-inhibit-manager