D8056: Improve usability of "Open With" dialog by adding option to filter the application tree

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Nov 7 18:20:27 UTC 2017

rkflx accepted this revision.
rkflx added a comment.

  @dfaure Could we get your green (for real, on Phab :) light from a Frameworks point of view for this Diff?

  @simgunz If you have no further changes planned for this Diff and https://phabricator.kde.org/D8670, I could land both on your behalf. Contact information of non-developers are private by default on identity.kde.org, but I found some in https://github.com/simgunz/redshift-plasmoid. Are those okay to use for the authorship (name + email)?

  ---

  Stumbled upon this too some time ago, amazingly you used the very same workaround I applied back then. Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esc_key the similar looking glyph seems intentional, so I don't see a chance to convince Phab upstream to change this. Just embrace and use it, maybe we all get accustomed after a while :) At least we get tooltips for all those symbols: [⎋] + [⌘] + [⌥]

  > I agree in opening a new task to talk about the proposed points.

  Great, I'll try to get this done on the weekend (need to digest your forum post and bugzillas first).

  As for the [↓] and completion popup issues, the root cause seems to be that we have one input line but two overlapping "lists", which is really weird conceptually and gets complex quite fast as you noticed. A (quick to talk about, slow to implement) idea would be to get rid of the completion popup even for advanced users and merge those results (recent inputs, but also some other search results like `kmimetypefinder` which are not even in a category!?) into the list view as a new section.

  This definitely needs more thinking, no need to rush…

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

BRANCH
  openwithdialog-filter-app-tree