D5911: Make sure that SNI service name is unique and allowed by default in flatpak

Jan Grulich noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu May 18 16:52:54 UTC 2017

jgrulich added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5911#110683, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > This is a big solution for a problem that I don't think exists.

  There are actually two problems:

  1. You need to guarantee that the SNI dbus service name will be unique, you cannot use pid, because in flatpak the pid is usually 2 as it's isolated in the sandbox
  2. To let the app have access to create SNI you have to either allow it in manifest, which you can do using i.e --own-name=org.kde.StatusNotifierItem.*, but if you use wildcard, then it means the first instance of the app will own all dbus services starting with org.kde.StatusNotifier. To solve this problem we decided to use org.kde.appName.StatusNotifier.* as this is enabled in flatpak by default without assumption that it will own all possible variants of this name.

  > There's no reason to register a new service, we pass the service name to the SNI watcher; it could be just the baseService (line 174 in the current code)

  Not sure what do you mean by registering a new service, I still register one with just a different name in case we are running in flatpak.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications