KDirWatch issue

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat May 13 12:00:15 UTC 2017

On lundi 8 mai 2017 17:51:06 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> > > No, we actually have a test that proves that we get to signal after
> > > restartDirScan is enabled again
> >
> > That's what I'm saying yes. We want the notification to happen, and it
> > happens.
>
> Sorry, typo, "to signal" is "no signal", since you don't want to open the
> test i'll copy the code here

Ah sorry. I didn't see the need to read the test since I was agreeing with
your sentence due to the typo ;)

> QCOMPARE(spyDirty.count(), 0); // as documented by restartDirScan: no signal

OK, the docu says we expect the app to have taken care of updating the view
by other means.

We could re-evaluate this, but...

The use of restartDirScan in KIO (CopyJob and DeleteJob) actually does NOT
need restartDirScan to emit anything, since CopyJob takes care of notifying
about changes using DBus (KDirNotify).
Additional signals would just slow things down. In fact this is the only
reason why KIO uses restartDirScan in the first place.

The fact that inotify breaks that is therefore a bug in my view.
i.e. I agree with the original post.

The question is whether it's fixable...

Working on KDE Frameworks 5