kioslave nogui

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Mar 31 11:01:22 UTC 2017

Hola,

I am tyring to run filelight on windows and encountered a really
strange behavior in KIO. I am building KIO with KIO_FORK_SLAVES=ON as
that seems to make the most sense on Windows. That will fork the
kioslave helper binary to run the slaves rather than going through
kdeinit. The problem is that the kioslave binary is built with
ecm_mark_nongui_executable which sets `WIN32_EXECUTABLE FALSE`.

Maybe I am being daft, but the way I understand it WIN32_EXECUTABLE
being set to false means that the program will always run in a
terminal. i.e. it is a cmdline  program. It is like when one sets
`Terminal=true` in a freedesktop desktop file.

Long story short: this is what I get due to ecm_mark_nongui_executable
http://i.imgur.com/sHeyyIp.png

I am not sure about the OSX implication of ecm_mark_nongui_executable,
but at least from a Windows point of view it seems to make no sense as
it brings up this utterly useless command window. I've confirmed that
not calling ecm_mark_nongui_executable in fact gets rid of the window.

I guess I am asking for confirmation that we can drop the call
entirely and if not if we there is any downside to dropping it for
windows.

Cheers,
HS