D4911: add Baloo DBus signals for moved or removed files

Matthieu Gallien noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Mar 28 09:05:08 UTC 2017

mgallien reclaimed this revision.
mgallien added a comment.

  Reopening since I am still convinced that getting signals from Baloo is a lot more sane than adding workaround in each users of Baloo.

  My point is that for a music player like the one I am working on (Elisa), I have to do the following:

  - ask Baloo for an initial list of files (using Baloo APIs) ;
  - add file system watches for all those files (needed for removed files or directory and moved files or directories) ;
  - listen to some DBus signals from Baloo (needed to understand new files have been detected by Baloo in directories I am watching or not). May be used to detect changes to already known files ;
  - hope that my code is good enough to not miss any changes.

  One of the worst thing in this schema is that Baloo is slower than file system watches. Changes will not be detected in the order they happen. Changes detected through Baloo will happen after changes detected by watches. User Experience may suffer from that (needs more test to see if this is real).

  As I already said, if the cost of getting exact changes is too high, just a signal saying something changed is good enough if we get notified of *all* changes.

REPOSITORY
  R293 Baloo