[Differential] [Commented On] D4799: Delay notifications until desktop session has loaded

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 1 10:40:29 UTC 2017

davidedmundson added a comment.

  There is another solution that would work without any changes to KNotification.

  DBus has a solution to buffer messages and wait for a name to become available, it happens in DBus activation. If plasmashell was DBus activated on org.freedesktop.Notifications we wouldn't have this problem at all.

  Making plasmashell do that is probably a bit weird, but there is a hack we can do that I've seen done in Telepathy. Instead of activating plasmashell we have a small binary that gets DBus activated but simply idles waits for org.freedesktop.Notifications to become available then quits.

  DBus-daemon thinks it's launched something and happily waits for the name to become available queuing the messages. Knotification can just fire and forget as normal.
  The only time there's any performance penalty is if you do send a notification pre-plasmashell starting up, and it's quite minor.

  I've tested this using, https://paste.kde.org/pwdqvevvo
  running "notify-send foobar"
  then waiting 10 seconds and starting plasmashell
   Notification appeared perfectly.

  We'd need to re-implement mc-wait-for-name in Plasma code (or just use Exec=sleep 30)

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

EMAIL PREFERENCES